Monday 7 December 2015

NIOD Skincare - my thoughts albeit initially


Up until a week ago I had not heard of this brand, but wandering around the interweb as is my wont led me to Victoria Health and some intrigue and the above kit.

NOID stands for non-invasive options in dermal science - hardly catchy to my mind, and the strap line of "skincare for the hyper-educated" serves to alienate me further if I am honest, for there is a lot of science about this brand, and a lot about its ingredients, which is great and the website is clear and informative but maybe a tad lacking in the readability to me, which is a criticism of me rather than the website, sadly my 49 year old brain skids off information even if it is simply set out - I no longer have the capacity for concentration.

However, the reviews are positive and the enticement of something new in skincare is a delight and a motivation for me to investigate further. Incidentally Jane at British Beauty Blogger has a written about the range here, here, here, and here which makes for informative, and entertaining reading as is to be expected from her.

So these are my initial thoughts only, I have had this kit less than a week and will have used it for four days when this post goes up

Firstly the sizes in the kit, whilst appearing small - the eye concentrate is 3mls -  all have a fluid, water like consistency, which means that a little really does go a long way. The products are cased in brown or clear bottles with pipettes or droppers as needed and the scent is of nothing, maybe a faint trace in the cleanser but it is innocuous.

But this fluidity can lead to a bit of a panic for me, how do I get the darn stuff onto my face? It does have a tendency to run.

So what I can say on such a limited use? Well I think that a trial size of a product should enable one to see if one gets on with the smell, texture and ease of use. 

I feel that I can only really comment on the cleanser and the eye serum, the Multi Molecular Hyaluronic Ester and the Photographic Fluid Opacity 12% both need further exploration for me.

The Low Viscosity Cleaning Ester or LVCE appeared to me on first glance like one of those ubiquitous micellar waters which never floated my boat, too boring frankly. This is a weird one, water is not an ingredient apparently, and it does not feel like water on the skin, it feels like a light oil, a very light oil mixed with, well, water. It has slip. It removes makeup remarkably well, it whistles through sunscreen and full foundation and concealer, and mascara. I need a second pass, but then that is always a given with me.

The Fractionated Eye Contour Concentrate or FECC is extremely moisturising on my eyes, well the skin around my eyes. The instructions are to apply a drop, which is enough for both eyes, the drops from the dropper are tiny, so I apply two and I was amazed that my eyelids and general eye area comfortable and moist well into the evening post application some four hours earlier. I did not feel the need to add an eye cream on the top which further amazed me.

All in all I want to try these further and they are already on my bathroom shelf, but the sensorial paucity may dent my enjoyment.




More information from Victoria Health, the kit is currently £25.
Caroline Hirons has just published a helpful guide here

No comments:

Post a Comment