Wednesday 8 April 2015

How to be Beautiful by Kathleen Baird-Murray


I am not sure that this is still in publication, it was written in 2002. 

Kathleen Baird-Murray is a journalist who was Beauty and Health Editor at Tatler and Acting Beauty and Health Editor at British Vogue, and Beauty and Health Editor for Australian Marie Claire, she has also written for Sunday Times Style and Elle and is a name that is very familiar to me from that era when I was trying to keep body and soul together whilst trying to balance bringing up three children born within three and a half years of each other and working, and recovering from a serious illness, beauty and its rituals were a constant in that at times confusing time.

It is a very easy read, and is written in the style of interviews and top tips from experts in their field, Bastien Gonzales (feet), Glauca Rossi (makeup school), Charlotte Tilbury (makeup before her own range), Eve Lom (cleansing) to name a few. 

So rather than being a "how to" type of book, it is more a "tell me about..." and "you are an expert what would you suggest?" type of book. I find that style of journalism comforting and encouraging, in that I do not feel lectured to or hectored at, rather invited to eavesdrop in on a casual conversation between someone who knows their stuff inside out, and is being encouraged to talk in the knowledge that this expert will pass on not just the skills but those little extra nuggets of wisdom which make all the difference.

It is a book which I keep by my bedside to dip into, and each time that I do, I find something new to ponder over or to incorporate into what I am currently doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment